I’ve actually been getting my hands dirty with code again this week – both my existing Catalyst based apps are working fine, so just to keep things interesting I’ve got another two apps as work-in-progress and refactoring the existing ones for translations.
Okay, this one should have happened a couple of weeks ago, but last-minute snags and a lot of other work delayed things slightly.
Something strange has been happening to my Catalyst applications – they’ve been running fine (more than fine, actually), but every 7 days or so, the FastCGI server seems to lock up. I’m not sure where the failure is ATM, but the apps need to be available all of the time, so they need monitoring and …
Just a quick update for now – I’ve managed to book myself up quite fully.
Last Friday, I took my first Catalyst application live. It was a particularly tense time – this was a live, public facing release of a completely new server stack. The short version: Catalyst rocks!
Note: this is not the canonical way, it just Works For Meâ„¢ – there are, no doubt, vast improvements that could be made. YMMV.
Always a glutton for punishment, a recent project to redevelop a website involved changing pretty much every layer of the stack – Apache became nginx, mod_perl became FastCGI, and the custom code was moved into a Catalyst project. Having never seriously worked with any of these before, my first deployment (today!) was an interesting affair.
I’ve spent the last week away, where I’ve had absolutely no Internet access at all. No WWW, no RSS, no email – not even any Twitter (although I did tweet a couple of times from my phone). It’s surprising (or not) how much “connected” time I’ve got used to – it was like a week …
So, it’s 2010 (however you like to pronounce it), it’s out with the old and in with the new! I must confess to having lived in a bit of a bubble for a while, not venturing out of my comfort zone, and so things got a little stale. No longer.